Skip to main content
2 replies [Last post]
Jordan B's picture
Council

The Wild Hunt has an interesting article about a study that was done about Pagans and how we practice: http://wildhunt.org/2015/02/what-do-pagans-do-an-interview-with-dr-gwendolyn-reece.html

moftsd's picture
What is Paganism?

Last night, I mentioned to Noah that I’m in this class, and he blurted out that as far as he knew, Paganism can summed up as “not monotheistic”.

I countered with the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost of Catholicism, and that there are plenty of sects that either focus only on one deity of a pantheon, or have only one deity (for which I could not come up with an example).

Please offer a suggestion of a Pagan sect that has only one deity, so I can return to this topic with him!

Jordan B's picture
Council
Paganism has been defined in

Paganism has been defined in so many different ways but the two most common are:
Not Judeo-Christian(or Muslim)
or Earth Based faith.

For a singular deity Pagan faith you could point to Taoism (worships the Tao or universe, not a personified deity though). You could point to some covens of Dianic Wicca which actively reject the male God and only worship a singular Goddess. Sikhs are monotheists and could be pagan by the one definition, but not really by the other. Zoroastrianism is another monotheistic faith and fits more into the Pagan blanket term.